Friday, June 29, 2018

What We Want - Waiting For My Life by Linda Pastan

Zinnia, after peaking...


I love Anais Nin so much...



Waiting For My Life
By Linda Pastan

I waited for my life to start
for years, standing at bus stops
looking into the curved distance
thinking each bus was the wrong bus;
or lost in books where I would travel
without luggage from one page
to another; where the only breeze
was the rustle of pages turning,
and lives rose and set
in the violent colors of suns.

Sometimes my life coughed and coughed:
a stalled car about to catch,
and I would hold someone in my arms,
though it was always someone else I wanted.
Or I would board any bus, jostled
by thighs and elbows that knew
where they were going; collecting scraps
of talk, setting them down like bird song
in my notebook, where someday I would go
prospecting for my life.

<><><><><><><><><><>

"To live is so startling it leaves little time for anything else." ~Emily Dickinson

<><><><><><><><><><>

There Are Poems

By Linda Pastan

There are poems
that are never written,
that simply move across
the mind
like skywriting
on a still day:
slowly the first word
drifts west,
the last letters dissolve
on the tongue,
and what is left
is the pure blue
of insight, without cloud
or comfort.

**********

"Poetry is an echo, asking a shadow to dance." ~Carl Sandburg


**********

What We Want

By Linda Pastan

What we want
is never simple.
We move among the things
we thought we wanted:
a face, a room, an open book
and these things bear our names---
now they want us.
But what we want appears
in dreams, wearing disguises.
We fall past,
holding out our arms
and in the morning
our arms ache.
We don't remember the dream,
but the dream remembers us.
It is there all day
as an animal is there
under the table,
as the stars are there
even in full sun.

<><><><><><><><><><>

In a dream you are never eighty. ~Anne Sexton

<><><><><><><><><><>

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Love these, Marion - they're in my Linda Pastan collection. I especially like that last one.

The heat is almost unbearable. It doesn't bode well for July and August. :(