Monday, June 25, 2018

Being a Wife by Selima Hill


Poem below from page 244.  Great anthology!

BEING A WIFE
by Selima Hill

So this is what it's like being a wife.
The body I remember feeling as big as America in,
the thighs so far away
his hand had to ride in an aeroplane to get there;
the giggles I heard adults giggling with
I was puzzled about,
and felt much too solemn to try;
buttons unbuttoned by somebody else, not me;
the record-player
neither of us were able to stop what we were doing
to turn off;
the smell of fish
I dreaded I'd never get used to,
the peculiar, leering, antediluvian taste
I preferred not to taste;
the feeling of being on the edge of something
everyone older than us,
had wasted,
and not understood,
as we were about to do;
his pink hand gripping my breast
as if his life depended on it;
the shame of the thought of the mirror
reflecting all this,
seem long ago,
yet somehow authentic and right.

Being a wife is like acting being a wife,
and the me that was her with him in the past is still me.
~∆~∆~∆~∆~∆~∆~

Feeling better today.  Reading poetry does that... xo

No comments: