Wednesday, April 15, 2009

A Walk Around My Yard


I can't begin my daily 'camera walk' without first checking out this Rose bush next to my St. Frances statue that makes the most frilly, pink-lined yellow roses. It never fails to treat me with a beautiful bud or open Rose. So far my homemade rock salt spray is working and I haven't had the first sign of black spot on the leaves.

This used to be a long set of windchimes, but the chimes have long since gone. The cross remains which catches the evening sun in all it's glory.

A view from my lawn chair sitting in the driveway, watching the day slowly fade away..........



The first little bounty from my Strawberry box. It's loaded with mostly green Strawberries at the moment, and about a dozen leggy, baby Mammouth Sunflowers shooting up......



The hanging baskets that I planted last month and the ever-present, calm Nashville Buddha in his circular rock garden. You can see the Virgin of Guadalupe in the background. We don't discriminate at our house. LOL!
Of all my varieties of Mint growing around the house, this is my favorite, Chocolate Mint. It grows year round and puts out the most amazing sweet, minty scent. Not as minty as the Spearmint, but sweeter. It's hard to try to describe it. When you crush an herb, it gives you it's strongest scent. I know there's an amazing metaphor there somewhere.



The morning sun in the front yard. The sunshine yesterday was awesome, like God smiling down upon the earth. A rare humidless, cool, sunny, breezy Spring day.




These bulbs bloom every Easter. I don't know their name, but they're mixed in with my purple bearded Iris's around my front yard tree. I love this shade of pink.


This little guy was having his breakfast when I stumbled outside yesterday morning with my camera and my first cup of coffee to photograph the flowers, I thought. Ray puts out seeds for him and I put out seeds on the other side of the yard for the Cardinals and other birds, so Mr. Rocky (as in Rocky and Bullwinkle, remember?) won't eat the bird seeds. He's gotten to be quite tame, but this is the first time he's posed for me and not run off. He likes to climb the trees nearest the house and bark at the cats in the yard. He's all talk and no action, though. We've had squirrels ever since we moved into the house over 20 years ago. They love to jump (fly almost) from the trees in our yard to the trees in our neighbor's yard. They don't have cats to bother them next door, only dogs, who ignore them.
I leave you with a poem about letting go of my words. Peace & Sunshine, ~*~Marion~*~

WORDS 4 SALE

Words 4 sale
(They didn’t come cheap)
I ranted and raved
And lost hours of sleep.

They didn’t come cheap
(These words 4 sale)
I plumbed the depths
Of my own private hell.

I ranted and raved
And lost hours of sleep
Trying to decide
Which words to keep.


I plumbed the depths
Of my own private hell,
Trying to let go
Of these words 2 sell.

7/18/08
Marion









6 comments:

Kelly said...

Your yard is absolutely lovely, Marion. I don't remember seeing that cross windchime when I was there. Did you have it then?

You're a lot nicer about the squirrels than I am.

Adrian said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. My posts are few and far between now that I am working full time in my husband's office. Thank you for your compliments about the skirts I've made. Sewing is a wonderful pasttime and I am glad you have found it again! Love your photos! I'm a camera fan, too and carry mine in my purse at all times!
Adrian

Pam said...

I covet your yard, my fairy friend!

Mail it to me! :)

Renee said...

Marion the yard is huge and so green. It is beautiful.

I love the cross in the tree, it must have been a beautiful wind chime. xoxoxo

Chandramouli S said...

Wow, Marion! Your garden is a lush! The rose seems too shy for the camera but beeautiful all the same! I love your poem!

Marion said...

Ah, Chandramouli, I just noticed that she is blushing! I'll say it again, you're a poet of the purest order!!