Friday, April 10, 2009

Favorite Poem Friday - Fall in Love with Poetry & Collages!

In my early collage days (I'm still a novice), I did the Stevie Nicks collage above. She's one of my favorite ladies of Rock & Roll, in addition to the luscious P. J. Harvey. I found this journal with blank, black pages for $2 at Waldenbooks (they have great sales) and loved writing on it with a white pen. I found most of the pics on the Internet or from magazines and interspersed the words of her songs with the pics. Some people scrapbook and it costs them a small fortune. I always say I do it basically for free except for the large Scotch glue sticks I buy in quantity! It's much more fun this way. The library gives away old magazines and books and I have a blast cutting them up. It feels a little wicked, like being a bad child with scissors. LOL!

I chuckle at one of my favorite lines from singer, Nick Cave's, song, "I Call Upon the Author to Explain" because it fits me so perfectly. It's, "Prolix, prolix, nothing a pair of scissors can't fix!" Of course, I take this line at face value and apply it to my scissoring habit. I even made a sign of it and put it up in my craft room. He'd probably cringe in horror, but maybe not. If you can't laugh about something, then you really have a problem, right?




This signed and numbered Amy Brown fairy print is my pride and joy and my all-time favorite of her many works of art. I get SO much inspiration from it. Falling in love. Falling into dream time. Being carried away by the butterflies of inspiration. Falling within her mind. Escaping reality. . . Well, you get the picture. Art is SO tied into poetry for me that I consider them married. Yesterday we watched an artist on CBN create a magnificently moving sculputre of Jesus as he spoke of the crucifixtion. The marriage of art and word. It was powerful! Art definitely has heART! Create something beautiful today in honor of Good Friday.




COLLAGE POEM

By Marion

Three weeks ago
In the early evening
I sat at my desk composing
A new spin on language,
Harnessing the power of the universe,
Dreamtime,

and inner space.

Treading softly, breaking taboos,
Creating realities
That never before existed.
Destroying imaginings that cried
Out not to be.

I became the High Priestess
Of mystery,


words,

dreams

and ambiguity.

My writing only lead to more writing

Words multiplied like rabbits in my brain---
Pregnant with language---
My imagination in labor,
Gloriously giving birth
To newborn poems.

7/10/08



I began this poem with words from one of my altered collage books. I love to put snips of words cut from magazines and old books on almost all of my collage pages and subconsciously, I made this poem. I was reading the little altered book (my first) it came from one day and realized that there was a poem hiding in the pages. What an exciting discovery! The subconscious mind is awesome.

Blessings, Peace and Hope to you all,

@->---- Marion, thankful for Jesus's sacrifice today.....


"The resurrection gives my life meaning and direction and the opportunity to start over no matter what my circumstances." ~Robert Flatt


"Where man sees but withered leaves, God sees sweet flowers growing." ~Albert Laighton


"Let the resurrection joy lift us from loneliness and weakness and despair to strength and beauty and happiness." ~Floyd W. Tomkins

5 comments:

Renee said...

Marion you know I love you right. I just keep getting kicked out. I don't know if youwill even see this as I'm typing at breakneck speed.

Love Renee

p.s. Love the picture of Mama xoox

Pam said...

Simply love it!!! Yep, Trish and I are big Stevie Nicks fans to this day!

Your poem is wonderful!

Kelly said...

I heard Stevie Nicks on the radio yesterday and immediately thought of you.

This is a wonderful poem! Wish I had even a thimbleful of your artistic talent... with words AND with scissors!

Oh... and I just saw your comment on my blog. Laura Childs! I just got the latest paperback tea mystery with my B&N giftcard. I know she has a new hardcover out, too.

quid said...

This poem .. "The Collage" is truly inspirational and really almost a cloning of who you are, Maid Marion. I loved it.

Kelly's right... I can't hear or hear of Stevie Nicks without thinking of you.

quid

Linda S. Socha said...

This is fantastic! I can actually come and go on your blog at will...I know you may understand I am reluctant to leave having been a bit conditioned, like Renee, to type frantically...and in my case get nary a word done.
Love the collage....I saved a political one from college....love the photo but the fairy is inspirational!
Linda