Friday, January 28, 2011

Romeo and Juliet Meet Van Gogh

'The Starry Night' by Vincent Van Gogh, September 1888


"Come, night; come, Romeo; come, thou day in night;
for thou wilt lie upon the wings of night
whiter than new snow on a raven's back.

Come, gentle night, come, loving, black-brow'd night,
give me my Romeo; and, when he shall die,
take him and cut him out in little stars,
and he will make the face of heaven so fine
that all the world will be in love with night
and pay no worship to the garish sun."


~William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet, from:  Scene II, Capulet’s Orchard

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

I saw a post similar to this one on another blog and realized I've been amiss by not posting Shakespeare.  Romeo and Juliet is my favorite play by the master.  Maybe because I saw the movie as a young teenager and instantly fell in love with love.  Ah, youth....wasted on the young!  :-)

My husband's favorite artist is Van Gogh and he has reproduced many of his paintings and sold them.  We have every letter, book, biography written by or about Van Gogh and many volumes of his art.  I feel as if he's a part of our family.  I have "Road With Cypress and Star" on the wall in my den painted by Ray.  He's a great artist and can paint almost anything (except walls...tee-hee...he detests 'honey-do's').  Our dream is to see one of Van Gogh's paintings 'in person'.  Hopefully we will one day soon.

I hope you all have a wonderful, happy weekend.

Love & Blessings,
Marion

13 comments:

* said...

Shakespeare offers the perfect pitch, doesn't he? Romeo and Juliet, a classic.

Happy weekend, dear Marion.

Marion said...

Yes, Terresa. Thanks for stopping by. Happy weekend to you, too. Blessings!!

Kelly said...

Ahhhh. I love Van Gogh!

Have a wonderful weekend, my friend!

Wine and Words said...

I didn't know that about Ray!!! I'm so impressed. Well I'm impressed with anyone who can paint. I, however, am a master wall painter ;)

Laurie said...

I love Van Gogh, too. Have you seen the recent Dr. Who episodes with Vincent? They will probably make you cry.

Marion said...

Kelly, thanks. We're in the midst of spring fever stuff because it got hot today and we puttered in the yard some, but it's still pretty wet. I've got Ray painting his bathroom tomorrow, and some trim in mine. New Year, new projects. So we'll be honey-doing all weekend. Blessings!!

Annie, you'll see lots of Ray's paintings. We fight for wall space in this 1800 sq. foot house what with his art and April's art and my photography. I might put you on a paint brush if you're really good. LOL! Not really. We're gonna be either relaxing, gambling, shopping, talking or eating. Fun stuff! Have a great weekend. xoxoxo

I haven't seen those Laurie. I'll have to check them out. Thanks for stopping by! Blessings!

Woman in a Window said...

Shakespeare hurts my head but speaks to my heart. Funny, eh?

I think it is a gorgeous thing that Ray paints Van Gogh's. God, Marion, you should post pictures of some of them and sell them. No shit. Or at least showcase them, if Ray is willing. It would be wonderful to see his work.

Have a beautiful Sunday.

xo
erin

quid said...

I would wish for you and Ray that you would be able to see the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam some day. I saw it some 30 years ago, and I still am struck by the riches in just a few rooms.

Loved this particular scene from the bard, and looking forward to more!

quid

Marion said...

Thank you all for the kind comments.

I'm having blog problems....It won't let me post or upload photos, so that's why I haven't posted. :-( I hope it can be resolved soon!!! xoxo

Snowbrush said...

Well, I love Van Gogh, but I wonder if such sentiments as were expressed here by Shakespeare don't go more with the infatuation stage of love (if you can call such a thing love) than with mature love (if love is ever really mature). What say you?

Anonymous said...

I love the painting, I'd never seen it before googling it.

Rick said...

my daughter has read the complete works of shakespeare, but it always makes me crook my head. Still, the beauty can't be denied.
I love Van Gogh. something wide eyed and child like in his work but brilliantly so. way to go Ray!
~rick

Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats said...

Oh yes...love the swirly stuff. And the Romeo and Juliet of my youth, Zeffirelli, such teenaged angst...