Sunday, January 9, 2011

The Wind Blows Through the Doors of My Heart by Deborah Digges

"Dragonflies" by Marion


The Wind Blows Through the Doors of My Heart

by Deborah Digges

The wind blows
through the doors of my heart.
It scatters my sheet music
that climbs like waves from the piano, free of the keys.
Now the notes stripped, black butterflies,
flattened against the screens.
The wind through my heart
blows all my candles out.
In my heart and its rooms is dark and windy.
From the mantle smashes birds' nests, teacups
full of stars as the wind winds round,
a mist of sorts that rises and bends and blows
or is blown through the rooms of my heart
that shatters the windows,
rakes the bedsheets as though someone
had just made love. And my dresses
they are lifted like brides come to rest
on the bedstead, crucifixes,
dresses tangled in trees in the rooms
of my heart. To save them
I've thrown flowers to fields,
so that someone would pick them up
and know where they came from.
Come the bees now clinging to flowered curtains.
Off with the clothesline pinning anything, my mother's trousseau.
It is not for me to say what is this wind
or how it came to blow through the rooms of my heart.
Wing after wing, through the rooms of the dead
the wind does not blow. Nor the basement, no wheezing,
no wind choking the cobwebs in our hair.
It is cool here, quiet, a quilt spread on soil.
But we will never lie down again.

From:  "The Wind Blows Through the Doors of My Heart:  Poems" by Deborah Digges, 1950 - 2009
A beautiful, soulful, fantastic book of poetry.
Buy poetry. Support poets!

8 comments:

Wine and Words said...

Sometimes it takes a tempest to set things in motion, things that have lain so dormant they grew dust like spring grasses in false life.

It's a beautiful poem, a beautiful header picture, my Marion.

Marion said...

Thank you, Annie. I'm doing a little redecorating all over. Tee-Hee. Glad you enjoyed the poem. Love & Blessings! xoxo

ds said...

Dresses as crucifixes--what an image. I've seen Ms. Digges' name but never read her. Powerful stuff. Thank you for the introduction, Marion. And I love your dragonfly collage!

Phoenix said...

"It is not for me to say what is this wind/or how it came to blow through the rooms of my heart."

Ah, I love this. So incredibly profound observation about the things that move through us, and move us, and the things that set it all in motion. Absolutely lovely.

Did I tell you? I posted your TS Eliot quote that you left on my blog to my Facebook page (as it really was the perfect quote to close up one year and open up another) and got a lot of compliments. So thank you for sharing it - it was wonderful :)

Serena said...

That's a beautiful selection. And your blog just keeps getting more and more gorgeous, dahling. The picture at the top is stunning, and I just love your new little Emma over on the sidebar.:)

Kelly said...

I love all the imagery in this!

Still having internet problems, but trying to get them resolved.
*sigh* technology can be such a pain at times!!

Rick said...

Marion
loved it
but that last line was like swallowing an anchor
its always those damn buts
~rick

Emeniano A Somoza Jr said...

Stunning beauty this...