Thursday, January 13, 2011

I Am An Alphabet Woman by Marion



ALPHABET WOMAN
by Marion Lawless

Written after reading Beat poet Anne Waldman’s Poetry.
She was inspired by the shaman woman, Maria Sabina’s chants.....

I am an Alphabet woman, a magician with words.
I am a Book woman, reading to stay alive.
I am a Creative woman, forming art from garbage.
I am a Dragonfly woman, born of water, earth and sky.
I am an Earthy woman, friends with trees and flowers.
I am a Flying woman, soaring nightly in my dreams.
I am a Gardening woman, tiller of soil and soul.
I am an Herbal woman, creator of enchanted potions.
I am an Intuitive woman, looking beyond facades.
I am a Joyous woman, happy to be alive.
I am a Kind woman, treating others with respect.
I am a Learning woman, hungry for truth and knowledge.
I am a Moon woman, in tune with lunar cycles.
I am a Nature woman, hearing the earth’s heartbeat.
I am an Ocean woman, drawn by the pull of the tides.
I am a Poet woman, midwife to little poems.
I am a Questioning woman, every seeking mystery.
I am a Reading woman, devourer of words.
I am a Survivor woman, growing stronger with each challenge.
I am a Tattooed woman, wearing my spirit on my skin.
I am an Understanding woman, full of empathy.
I am a Victorious woman, overcomer of obstacles large and small.
I am a Wild woman, indefinable, spirited and free.
I am an X-ray woman, seeing through life’s illusions.
I am a Yin-Yang woman, ever seeking balance.
I am a Zealous woman, passionate about life, truth and love.

==============================================

I've posted this old poem several times. It's one of my favorite poems by one of my favorite poets...moi! LOL!

It's colder than a well-digger's ass here in the deep South (that's one of Mama's sayings) and I'm hunkered down wearing my sock hat, toe-socks, flannel pj's, scarf and sweat suits...plural. I am so not a cold weather girl. I went outside to break the ice on my birdbaths and it was so thick I had to bang it with a shovel then pour hot water over it. Poor little birdies. I filled all my bird feeders and that was my outdoor adventure for today. Thankfully, the sun is shining and it's slowly warming up. Kudos to my Canadian friends. I sincerely do NOT know how y'all do it.

Blessings,
~Marion

======================

Winter is nature's way of saying, "Up yours." ~Robert Byrne

=======================

"I was just thinking, if it is really religion with these nudist colonies, they sure must turn atheists in the wintertime." ~Will Rogers

======================

"O, wind,
If Winter comes, can Spring be far behind?" ~Percy Bysshe Shelley

======================

12 comments:

Bubba said...

Great one, Marion!

(She's one of MY favorite poets too!) ;)

Kay said...

One of my favorites too! and ditto on the winter blues... brrrrr.... is it summer yet????

Kass said...

What a great idea for a poem. Loved learning more about you.

Serena said...

I LOVE that! It's so YOU. Bless you for chipping the ice for the poor birds. I hate cold, too. The wind chill was 18 degrees when I took the dog out shortly before 5:00 P.M. I was sorely tempted to just let her pee on the floor.:-) Let's cross our fingers and pray for an early Spring!

Woman in a Window said...

I KNEW it was one you posted before! I remember this one very well. It says a great deal about you, Marion. You wrote it well.

I laugh to think of you in the cold. I went for a walk tonight with my layers on, winter coat on top, scarf, big ass boots, and Russian-like hat to cork 'er off. When I came home my breath had frozen my hair solid and white. I looked like an old man with white sideburns. Grrrrrr! I love it! I'd love to put you through it. But by god, I'd not survive a day's worth a sweatin'!

much love to you down there all but naked.
xo
erin

Wine and Words said...

I love your whole alphabet!!! Think of it....only 26 letters, and limitless combinations. Just like a woman.

I am Annie woman, crazy loon
I am Booze woman, sniffing moonshine
I am Catfish woman, eager to try...

Love you my Marion! Counting the days.

* said...

Love the alphabet poem, a good lesson to do periodically to remember how/why we are who we are. And the quotes following the poem, love 'em, notably the Byrne quote.

Ruth said...

I like the beauty and humor I find here, Marion. Very much. It's so nice to meet you.

It's incredible to think that Pablo Neruda's poem on poetry inspired you, and me, long ago, and here we are, still writing, and connecting through our writing. The human exchange is incredible.

Kelly said...

This has always been one of my favorite "Marion" poems!

We've been awfully cold here, too. Brrrr!!! I'm ready for some warmth!! Supposed to warm up a bit over the weekend, but get cold again next week (I think).

Marion said...

I'm going to try the alphabet poem, Marion, I love this one...you've inspired me.You're one of my favourite poets, as well!!!

It is so cold here my nose hairs freeze up almost instantly when I'm outside. I wear one of those face hoodies now. The temp is -32C today and dipping lower tonight.There is a blizzard in the forecast as well. We've been in this deep freeze for two weeks...

I am a Survivor woman, too, I think...

Donna B. said...

Fantastic poem!! Loved it and what a creative way to share yourself with us. Thank you!

Tiffany said...

I enjoyed stopping by. "Alphabet Woman" is a beautiful woman. Thank you so much for sharing it with us. I will be back to visit again. Have a wonderful day. Hope you are warm today...