Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Late October by Dorianne Laux

A butterfly's delight


Godlight...


I am this woman, have been this woman, will probably always be this woman...thankfully.  My favorite October poem.  I haven't posted it in two years, so enjoy! xo


Late October
By Dorianne Laux

Midnight.  The cats under the open window,
their guttural, territorial yowls.

Crouched in the neighbor's driveway with a broom,
I jab at them with the bristle end,

chasing their raised tails as they scramble
from bush to bush, intent on killing each other.

I shout and kick until they finally
give it up; one shimmies beneath the fence,

the other under a car.  I stand in my underwear
in the trembling quiet, remembering my dream.

Something had been stolen from me, valueless
and irreplaceable.  Grease and grass blades

were stuck to the bottoms of my feet.
I was shaking and sweating.  I had wanted

to kill them.  The moon was a white dinner plate
broken exactly in half.  I saw myself as I was:

forty-one years old, standing on a slab
of cold concrete, a broom handle slipping

from my hands, my breasts bare, my hair
on end, afraid of what I might do next.

From:  "What We Carry", page 11

-------------------------------------------------

Nothing [everything] left to say, the poem says it all.  ~Marion

2 comments:

Heidrun Khokhar, KleinsteMotte said...

Times have changed. It is rare to hear cats at night as all creatures move into the indoor world . They claim to be safer there but are they? Happy mid October.

Marion said...

Well, here in the South (Louisiana), we have feral cats, neighborhood cats and ghost cats that still howl all night! It's pretty warm here, though. Happy October to you, too! xo