Sunday, July 1, 2018

The Moon in Your Hands by H. D. & Night Memory



THE MOON IN YOUR HANDS
By H. D. (Hilda Doolittle)

If you take the moon in your hands 
and turn it round 
(heavy, slightly tarnished platter), 
you're there;

if you pull dry seaweed from the sand 
and turn it round 
and wonder at the underside's bright amber, 
your eyes 

look out as they did here 
(you don't remember) 
when my soul turned round, 
perceiving the other side of everything, 
mullein leaf, dogwood leaf, moth wing 
and dandelion seed under the ground.


~×~×~×~×~

Once, I rode with my husband when he threw a Sunday newspaper route from his red Jeep Wrangler.  We took off at 1:00 a.m. after loading the papers at the newspaper loading dock.  The back of the Jeep was crammed with stacks of newspapers that I folded, put into waterproof bags and handed off to him to toss precisely into the yards...in the dark.  Most did not have boxes for the papers below their mail boxes.  

The stench of the ink was nauseating.  It rubbed off onto my hands.  There was no traffic in the rural neighborhoods and he turned, whirled and drove on both sides of the road, waving at the local police who knew him.  I got carsick for the first and only time in my life, puking out the window from time to time.  It was hilarious, really.  

I said all that to say this:  I experienced the nighttime as never before or since.  The headlights illuminated the undersides of leaves as the wind blew and we swooshed by: silver, opalescent, lunar, luminous, iridescent and glowing.  I was mesmerized, enchanted.  To this day, I remember  this rare experiencing of the other side of night, as if night opened herself to me and winked, raising her skirt and letting me see her frilly, delicate crinolines.  This poem by H. D. always brings back this sweet memory.  

Stay cool!

xo,
Marion

~×~×~×~×~

"No matter how much suffering you went through, you never wanted to let go of those memories."  ~Haruki Murakami

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Your story give the poem a whole different take. Thanks for sharing this with us, Marion!

Marion said...

You're welcome, Kelly. I spend a lot of time in the land of memory lately. Ray offered to bring me home that night (bless his heart, it was when he was working 3 jobs) and I refused and stuck it out. When we pulled into the yard about sunup, I was beat. The phone rang when I walked in the door and a newspaper customer said, "You threw my paper on an ant hill! Don't do that again!" AS IF Ray could see an ant hill in her yard in the pitch dark at 2 a. m.! I could write a book about the insane complaints he got the 3 months he threw that route. It was his craziest job ever. xo

Snowbrush said...

My father and I had such a route. It was 115 miles everyday, although it was an afternoon route on everyday but Sunday when the Clarion Ledger and the Jackson Daily News combined into one morning edition. I suppose the price of gas would preclude driving that far in a Jeep Wrangler anymore, or in our succession of Galaxies and Fairlanes.