Saturday, November 10, 2018

The Dead by Susan Mitchell

"It was as if pain were a room he had entered & the door had been locked behind him."  ~ Stephen Dobyns, from "Eating Naked:  Stories"

Be here now...

My precious, badass Sophie, in Cat Heaven, waiting...



The Dead

At night the dead come down to the river to drink.
They unburden themselves of their fears,
their worries for us. They take out the old photographs.
They pat the lines in our hands and tell our futures,
which are cracked and yellow.
Some dead find their way to our houses.
They go up to the attics.
They read the letters they sent us, insatiable
for signs of their love.
They tell each other stories.
They make so much noise
they wake us
as they did when we were children and they stayed up
drinking all night in the kitchen.
—Susan Mitchell

~×~×~×~×~
My knee replacement is better.  Almost 3 long months of grueling physical therapy has slowly helped, along with a cute physical therapist.  (I ain't dead yet).  This cold is wreaking havoc on my entire skeleton, though, and I went and hauled plants into the laundry room this morning, just in case it gets really cold, in the 30's.  It was in the 80's earlier this week.   So, I'm sitting here with ice on my knee, bitching.  Go figure... ;-)

Happy weekend, y'all!  xo

4 comments:

Kelly said...

Wow, that poem leaves me thinking about so much...

So glad you feel better. I know what you mean about the cold. It's gotten where either extreme is hard on me. (and I know I'm a southern wus when it comes to "cold") Chronic conditions are a bitch. We dropped below freezing Friday night and are supposed to see 20s next week! BRRRRR! Heading out to harvest more greens here shortly since I know it ruins them during a hard frost.

PhilipH said...

A very welcome update on your health, pain and physio. Glad all is now easing up for you and I hope you'll soon be skipping like a ten-year old. Philip.

Marion said...

Kelly, I thought of you when I heard how cold it was up there. Not so bad here, but it's rained for days. Southern winters are not for the weak. Ha!! Enjoy your greens...the last time I ate them (forced to clean my plate) was 3rd grade & I threw them up while riding on the school bus the next day onto my brand NEW DRESS! Haven't eaten any since. so

Philip, I sure hope I can skip again! I was an ace skipper up till a few years ago! Thanks for stopping by. xo

Snowbrush said...

I love the photo of Sophie.

I'm 15-months out of my own replacment, and the scar is still visible (it always will be, I suppose), and the knee still hurts a little and is swollen, but it is at least better off than before the replacement.

I think of you quite often, and always wish you well.