Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Every year we pass the day of our death...


I planted this tree as a twig...




Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. And yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really.

How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, or five times more? Perhaps not even that. 


How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless...


 ~Paul Bowles, from "The Sheltering Sky"

6 comments:

Terra said...

How big your tree has grown; I like to plant trees and think of them as gifts to the next generation. I like the passage and have always thought life is short, even if we live to be 100.

Kelly said...

Oh, wow... this is certainly thought-provoking.

Marion said...

Thanks for stopping by, y'all. I'm busy shivering here in our first below 30 degree night. Brrrrrr!!! LOL! xo

Snowbrush said...

So what kind of a tree is it?

Marion said...

A Water Oak. We dug it up as a twig in the woods. It's huge! xo

Snowbrush said...

That's what I though the trunk looked like, but I had no idea they grew that fast. I only know of one here, and it's not flourishing.