Saturday, September 1, 2018

There is a Pain So Utter - Emily Dickinson

Two weeks post surgery.  Staples removed later that day. Ouch!


There is a pain -- so utter -- by Emily Dickinson
There is a pain -- so utter --
It swallows substance up --
Then covers the Abyss with Trance --
So Memory can step
Around -- across -- upon it --
As one within a Swoon --
Goes safely -- where an open eye --
Would drop Him -- Bone by Bone.
~×~×~×~×~×~
I'm hobbling without the walker, but with a cane.  It feels like there's an iron fence post implanted in my leg.  Trying to bend it is excruciatingly painful and feels impossible.  No pain, no gain is what they say in physical therapy.  It's very hard to cause yourself pain on purpose...almost impossible, but necessary to progress.  I get highly nauseated every time I do my exercises or walk.  This experience hurts worse than childbirth...
Please pray for me & my family.  We desperately need healing... God Bless.  ~Marion


7 comments:

Janelle Goodwin said...

Praying that you heal quickly and that your pain vanishes. So sorry that you're going through this, Marion. Please keep us updated on your progress.

Kelly said...

That's a whopper of an incision, Marion!

You know you have my prayers. This, too, shall pass.

((hugs))

Marion said...

Thank you so much, Janelle. I appreciate you & will keep you posted. I've had enough pain for ten lifetimes... xo

Yes, Kelly, it's a doozy! It's healing nicely, if only I could bend it. I sincerely appreciate your prayers and friendship. xo

PhilipH said...

Looks bloody horrible, and painful. Do so hope you get through the next few weeks and months with a lot less pain as the days of physio progress. All the very best to you Marion.

Marion said...

Thanks, Philip. It's really been a bloody horrible experience all around from a lack of pain management to no physical therapy in hospital. I'm working hard at home torturing myself to try to bend this knee in spite of the pain. I appreciate the good wishes!! xo

Terra said...

Wow, ouch. I hope you are able to bend your knee now. I am reading this post a week later.

Snowbrush said...

I think post-op shoulder pain is worse, but then there are so many variables. I had my knee replacement on August 17 of last year, and I'm nowhere near over it, yet neither the surgeon nor I am are keen on a revision at this point. He said that he has a colleague that spent three years getting over his knee surgery. Patience helps, and do remember that, although it's a long slough, the worst part is the early part. By the way, I didn't have staples, I had dissolving sutures, so I should imagine that much of your pain is due to the way the surgeon closed you up. If that's true, you should feel a whole lot better when the staples are removed.