Sunday, March 11, 2018

Sometimes When the Light by Lisel Mueller

My fence steaming after a rain... Louisiana light is magic.




SOMETIMES, WHEN THE LIGHT


Sometimes, when the light strikes at odd angles
and pulls you back into childhood

and you are passing a crumbling mansion
completely hidden behind old willows

or an empty convent guarded by hemlocks
and giant firs standing hip to hip,

you know again that behind that wall,
under the uncut hair of the willows

something secret is going on,
so marvelous and dangerous

that if you crawled through and saw,
you would die, or be happy forever.

By Lisel Mueller

From:  "Alive Together:  New and Selected Poems" by Lisel Mueller

6 comments:

Kelly said...

I really like the images this one brings to mind. It always amazes me how, when taking my morning walks, the shift in light in a matter of minutes can change the entire view.

Marion said...

I know, Kelly. I call it Godlight. xo

erin said...

oh yes. that light has the power to save lives. (and the absence of it is terrible.)

Marion said...

Indeed, Erin, indeed. Unfortunately, I know this absence all too well. But Spring is almost here, thankfully... xo

Cro Magnon said...

Marion. I have just read your comment on Weaver's page. So often the victim becomes the accused, but the truth will always break through. I send you my sympathy and understanding. Stay strong! Cro x

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thank you Marion for your comment on my blog. I underline what Cro says above - he - and many others kept me going last year when I lost my beloved to a brain tumour. I send you my love.