Monday, March 5, 2018

Color by Christina Rossetti

By March, the bleakness of Winter has usually driven me to pull out my coloring books, gel pens, watercolors & Prismacolor Pencils because I'm all crocheted out.  (I finished a 7 foot long/4 foot wide blanket I custom made extra long for me last month.  It took two Winters to complete, but I persevered!)  I'm not much of a sketcher, but I've been coloring since the age of 3.  Ha! Ha!  Never grow up!


 This coloring art I did last weekend from the fabulous Hanna Karlzon's "Summer Nights" adult coloring book.  She's an amazing artist & I have all 3 of her books.  (Actually, I have an entire book shelf packed full of coloring books).  This page I did mostly in gel pen & Prismacolor Coloring Pencils.  I got those vividly colored pens (blues/purples) from Dollar General.  (I love a bargain!)

.
Same girl, but I colored her a year ago, mostly in colored pencil.  I think I like the wild, red hair better.  I'm still learning Prismacolor skin tones...not easy!

Moon & sun from "Magical Dawn" by Hanna Karlzon, all gel pens.  All cool colors for the Moonlady & warm colors for old Sol.

.

My Garfield kitty on back of my reading chair with a hippie-styled throw on it.  Got the "imagine" pillow cover for $5 at Amazon.  Love those inexpensive zippered covers because I can wash them & change them out often.

~×~×~×~


Color

What is pink? a rose is pink 
By a fountain's brink. 
What is red? a poppy's red 
In its barley bed. 
What is blue? the sky is blue 
Where the clouds float thro'. 
What is white? a swan is white 
Sailing in the light. 
What is yellow? pears are yellow, 
Rich and ripe and mellow. 
What is green? the grass is green, 
With small flowers between. 
What is violet? clouds are violet 
In the summer twilight. 
What is orange? Why, an orange, 
Just an orange!
Source: The Golden Book of Poetry (1947)




5 comments:

erin said...

the urge to create might just be that thing that saves us.

i see you pushing through the phases of grief. i sense there might be budding soon.


(i think it is here i heard a fun and interesting episode from radiolab on colour. http://www.radiolab.org/story/211119-colors/ )

Marion said...

Yes to creating... Erin, it 'only' took me 7 months to traverse denial, but I've slipped into anger. This one might take a while...I thought they were going to kick me out of the domestic abuse support group last week. I'm very pissed off. Understanding the stages of grief has been helpful. xo

The five stages of grief/loss:

denial
anger
bargaining
depression
acceptance

are a part of the framework that makes up our learning to live after loss. They are tools to help us frame and identify what we may be feeling. But they are not stops on some linear timeline in grief.

Kelly said...

I love all your creativity, Marion. I have several good coloring books and this year I received an adult Dot-to-Dot book. It's great fun! I also received a set of Magic Notes.... those black pages that when drawn on with a stylus reveal the colors beneath. We use to make our own in grade school. :)

All Consuming said...

Beautiful designs and I love the colours you've used too. Well done that woman!

Creativity has saved my life, I consider myself incredibly fortunate to have the will and constant wish to do so. It's a healer for sure.

erin said...

sometimes it's good to have a field guide:)