Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Mystery of Grace by Charles De Lint



Charles De Lint is the master of fastasy fiction. I found this book on the 'New Book' shelf at the library and was attracted by the cover. I'm in the midst of it right now, but had to recommend it. It's a wonderful, beautifully written, amazing book unlike any other book I've ever read. I have to get back to it......I just wanted to recommend it.


Here's the blurb from Amazon:


"Grace Quintero works at Sanchez Motor Works, customizing hot rods. Her whole world consists of her apartment building, the grocery store, the library, the record shop, and the local music hall. She misses her grandfather, the only person she was close to. She meets John at the music hall one night and has a feeling that they might have a relationship, not just a hookup. But there’s one problem. Grace is dead and trying to adjust to her “life” as a ghost. De Lint’s skillful depiction of people trying to resolve unfinished business, develop the courage to let some things go, and distinguish between the two draws the reader into a world that is neither life nor death. We agonize, in the classic sense, along with Grace and root for her resolution. This is a stand-alone work, unconnected to anything else de Lint has done before, but it should please his regular readers, and perhaps fantasy fans in general."


8 comments:

Margaret Pangert said...

Hi Marion! It reminds me of all those years reading Anne Rice! LOVE xxox

Phoenix said...

That sounds like such a cool book! But first I gotta finish Pride and Predjudice and Zombies. :)

Marion said...

Well, I'm on the last chapter and it was definitely one of the most original books I've read this year, and definitely hard to put down. Thanks for visiting, Margaret and Phoneix! Blessings!

PS: Margaret, have you read any of Anne Rice's son's books? His name is Christopher Rice and his books are really good.

Peaches said...

I love de Lint's work...I have just about every book he has written, even some of the childrens books. Not this one. I look forward to reading it.

Kelly said...

That does sound good, Marion! I'll keep it in mind for the future.

Hmmmm, now I wonder... just what about that cover could have grabbed your eye! ;-) Seriously, cover art often plays a huge factor in what books I pick up while browsing.

Serena said...

Ohhhh, that sounds like something I'd like a lot. I'm going to put it on my TBR list right now.

Marion said...

Well, it was a great read, very different. Kelly, I did love the girl's tattoos, for sure! I'm pondering a few more myself, but I can't make up my mind where to put them. Blessings!

Woman in a Window said...

Sounds wonderful. I've only one chapter left of the Alchemist and then I'm open for a new read...however, I've had one chapter left to read for the last week. I'm a ridiculous reader!
xo
erin