Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Ms. Ginger Andrews, Cleaning Lady Poet



I took the above photo last Spring, admiring the beautiful shadows of the towels on the fence and the laundry basket. I've converted at least three of my family members back to using clotheslines. (It's a truly BIG money & energy saver and it's also good for the soul).

"Ginger Andrews was born in North Bend, Oregon in 1956. Her poems have appeared in The Hudson Review, Poetry, River Sedge, Fireweed and The American Voice. In 1997, she received the Mary Scheirman Award at the Coos Bay Writers Conference. She cleans houses for a living, and is a janitor and Sunday school teacher at North Bend Church of Christ. " From: Amazon.com

Her two books of poetry are "An Honest Answer" and "Hurricane Sisters". I have them both and highly recommend them. They're both chock full of everyday, enlightening, soul-stirring, inspiring poems. Blessings and Love to you all........ ~Marion



Getting Ready to be Poor
By Ginger Andrews

My sister laughs, says she can eat Ramen noodles
for lunch and dinner, instead of just lunch.
It’s no big deal. She’s been poor before.

No washing whites in hot.
No deodorant, floss, Q-tips, Kotex or Midol.
One-ply toilet paper. No Kleenex. No cotton balls.

No new shoes. No espresso. No Red Bull, or Taco Bell.
No vacation, Lord knows, and no cash for the collection plate.
But, she says, I can take on more cleaning jobs. I can do that.

*********************************

Everyday Sinners
By Ginger Andrews

Blessed be the Pop Tart eaters,
the Mountain Dew drinkers,
the smokers, jokers, and self-centered
whiners married to slovenly mates
and old hippies
who haven’t been stoned since
Black Sabbath concerts in the 70’s,
who hope their children’s faith
is in the new Youth Minister
instead of good old Mom and Dad
who pray for strength and forgiveness
every evening, in their closets, on their knees,
or during pet food commercials with their eyes open,
and their hearts on fire.

*************************************

How to Write a Poem
By Ginger Andrews

It helps if you drink
espresso, take B vitamins,
and believe in God.
Live in a small mill town.
Marry a man with a big heart,
a big truck, a strong back,
and a chainsaw.
Have four children,
one bathroom,
and wood heat.
Chop kindling.
Love rain.
Eat meatloaf.
Call your sisters every day.
Listen, at least once,
to an all-black congregation
singing I’ll Fly Away.
Live by the sea,
Love those who curse you.
Read Ecclesiastes and Billy Collins.
Attend writers’ workshops
if they’re catered.
Vacation only in Arkansas.


++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

6 comments:

Kelly said...

Wonderful poems... all three! Just took a quick look at the index of my two "Good Poems" anthologies and found her name in both.

My husband still liked to dry his jeans on a clothesline when we first started dating. We had one where we lived when we first married, but didn't put one up out here in the country. I'm not sure if would be feasible with all my dogs. I can just envision one of them dashing across the lawn with my undies in her mouth, LOL! Loved your picture!

Anonymous said...

I love coming in here, with a cup of coffee. Staying a while and not only drinking my coffee, but also drinking in the words you share.
I am loving 'How to write a Poem'
Lovely, you.

Marion said...

Thank you, ladies.

quid said...

I have "An Honest Answer" and I love her... I either got the book from you or got the referral from you.

Loved the clothesline. Took me back to my kiddiehood.

quid

Snowbrush said...

Did you know that a Japanese plane dropped a single bomb near North Bend, Oregon, during WWII. American fighter planes were dispatched, but the mistakenly went to Bend, Oregon, which is far away in the desert, North Bend being on the Coast?

I always enjoy your blog.

Marion said...

Thanks for visiting, Snowbrush. No, I never knew there was a bomb dropped in Oregon! What a coincidence that this poet comes from there. Synchronicity.