Thursday, October 22, 2009

Phenomenal Woman by Maya Angelou



Phenomenal Woman
By Maya Angelou

Pretty women wonder where my secret lies.
I'm not cute or built to suit a fashion model's size
But when I start to tell them,
They think I'm telling lies.
I say,
It's in the reach of my arms
The span of my hips,
The stride of my step,
The curl of my lips.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

I walk into a room
Just as cool as you please,
And to a man,
The fellows stand or
Fall down on their knees.
Then they they swarm around me,
A hive of honey bees.
I say,
It's the fire in my eyes,
And the flash of my teeth,
The swing in my waist,
And the joy in my feet.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

Men themselves have wondered
What they see in me.
They try so much
But they can't touch
My inner mystery.
When I try to show them
They say they still can't see.
I say,
It's in the arch of my back,
The sun of my smile,
The ride of my breasts,
The grace of my style.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

Now you understand
Just why my head's not bowed.
I don't shout or jump about
Or have to talk real loud.
When you see me passing
It ought to make you proud.
I say,
It's in the click of my heels,
The bend of my hair,
the palm of my hand,
The need of my care,
'Cause I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

From: "The Complete Collected Poems of Maya Angelou"


^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I highly recommend all of Maya Angelou's books. She's an absolutely amazing poet, author and human being.

Wishing you all a happy TGIF and a glorious weekend!

Blessings, Love & Peace,


~*~Marion~*~


12 comments:

TheChicGeek said...

So cool, Marion! I love Maya Angelou and this is glorious! I find when we believe we are phenomenal everyone else does too. It comes from the inside out and it is beautiful when we see it in a person, that certain something!

You, my Dear, look ultra phenomenal by your red truck! Beautiful picture full of confidence.

Thank you for sharing this with us today! Truly inspiring!
Love and Hugs!
Have a Happy Day!
Kelly

RNSANE said...

What a wonderful poem. Maya Angelou has given us so much and I appreciate your sharing this one with us.

Karen said...

This is a great poem to remind us of how we should all feel. Thanks, Marion.

I love seeing pics of you. You are a phenomenal woman!

Have a wonderful weekend!

angela recada said...

Hi Marion,

I absolutely love this poem, and anything by Maya Angelou. She really is phenomenal.

And I love the photo of you! You are beautiful!

I hope you have a lovely weekend.

Hugs and love,
Angela

Janelle Goodwin said...

I LOVE this poem. As a matter of fact, I'm going to send it to my daughter right now. Thanks, Marion.

Anonymous said...

Oh thank you for this treasure Marion. I remember Maya's words, given to me when I was at University many Moons ago, by my bestest friend then (Sandra Barefoot.....didn't she have a great name?)and like Maya; such a strong Woman.
I am liking your picture too; you.

Kelly said...

Great poem and a beautiful photo of you!!

Wine and Words said...

Great picture of you and your fabulous truck! And you are Phenomenal for sure! There is a mystery isn't there....that just can't be explained, well perhaps phermones (sp?). The draw of man to woman. Ancient pull. Eternal.

Judith Ellis said...

This is a wonderful poem, Marion. I have known it since forever. I loved reading "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sing" when I was in middle school. I've met Maya Angelou on several occassions. A phenomenal woman she most certainly is! She has a fantastic energy. I'm 5' 10" and she was taller than me. I think she must be 6'. Lovely photo of you too.

Marion said...

Oh, Judith, I am utterly GREEN with envy that you've met Maya Angelou! I've read all of her books and own most of them and have memorized quite a few. She's a real survivor and such an inspiration to me. Hey, you and I are the same height! LOL! Thanks for stopping by. I appreciate you. Blessings!

Kay said...

I love Maya Angelou and you are a phenominal woman! :)

Woman in a Window said...

Look at you revealing and revelling in yourself. As you should!

There is no size, no procured measure by which to create that that is of you. And you are SO you! Lucky us, that you share.
xo
erin

(I wear a sterling silver moon around my neck every day. Just sayin'.)