Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Samuel Taylor Coleridge - What If You Slept?



What if you slept ... 

What if you slept 
And what if 
In your sleep 
You dreamed 
And what if 
In your dream 
You went to heaven 
And there plucked a strange and beautiful flower 
And what if 
When you awoke 
You had that flower in you hand 
Ah, what then?   

~Samuel Taylor Coleridge

_________________________

I haven’t slept all night in years,
Pain, nightmares, fear, hot/cold/hot/cold.  
PTSD.  More nightmares.  FULL MOON!
Listen to true crime podcasts.
Stomachache, heartache, 
children & grandchildren ache, bite my cheeks,
cough, hurt all over, sadness, regret, anxiety, thirsty, 
WORRY, pray without ceasing, 
existential crisis, ageing horrors, melancholy, 
reading, listening to books, soothing music, 
cats making scary noise sounds, 
poetry circling in my brain,
etcetera, etcetera, etcetera...

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Love this poem! I can relate to much of this...

Snowbrush said...

I too have a lot of bad nights, and no night is ever really good.

When I had access to them, I used to batter and fry unopened day lily flowers.