Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Tom Robbins Memoir

 
 
I'm eagerly sitting on my hands awaiting this book to arrive via UPS.  This is a memoir (of sorts) by the master of the metaphor.  It came out on May 27, 2014, and I somehow missed the fact that he had a new book coming.  Shame on me!  I own all of Robbins' books and can't wait to get my grubby hands on this one in spite of a few nasty reviews at Amazon.  I don't even trust a book that doesn't get a few bad reviews.  I mean, you can't please everyone...especially if you're Tom Robbins.  Amazingly, I just realized (after counting on my fingers and toes) that he'll be 78 years young a few days after my own birthdate in July.  Mon Dieu, time, she flies!! 
 
If you've never read Tom Robbins, start with either "Jitterbug Perfume" or "Skinny Legs and All".  They are my co-favorites.  He's like no author I've ever read and I've read tens of thousands of books.  I can count the writers who compare to him on one finger...Tom. 
 
 
 
 
 
I love this writing advice (below) by Tom Robbins.  Goes great for poetry, too: 
 
"Write down your favorite word. Write a sentence incorporating that word. Write another sentence that hold hands with your first sentence. This is the beginning of your story."

Gotta run.  Here's my book....

xo,
Marion

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

PS:  A perfect book poem from "Carnival Evening" by Linda Pastan:

THE BOOKSTALL

Just looking at them
I grow greedy, as if they were
freshly baked loaves
waiting on their shelves
to be broken open---that one
and that---and I make my choice
in a mood of exalted luck,
browsing among them
like a cow in sweetest pasture.
 
For life is continuous
as long as they wait
to be read---these inked paths
opening into the future, page
after page, every book
its own receding horizon,
And I hold them, one in each hand,
a curious ballast weighting me
here to the earth.
 
~Linda Pastan

=============================

"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Jessamyn West

=========================

"There are books so alive that you’re always afraid that while you weren’t reading, the book has gone and changed, has shifted like a river; while you went on living, it went on living too, and like a river moved on and moved away. No one has stepped twice into the same river. But did anyone ever step twice into the same book?" ~Marina Tsvetaeva

=========================


 
 


1 comment:

Serena said...

I've read all of his books, I think. I didn't know about this new one, either. I'll definitely have to pick it up.

Hope life has been treating you kindly, my dear. Happy June!:)