Saturday, May 22, 2010

Moth & Dragonfly by Marion

Moth and Dragonfly Photos by Me from May, 2009






A composition book I collaged last week for writing my poems in.


 
Moth and Dragonfly
By Marion

Night, she awoke me
whispering in my ear
wake up, wake up, dragonfly.
Danger is near.

I’m glad we
weren’t born sparrows
because sparrows can be caged;
I’m glad we weren’t born mortals
because mortals bleed and age.

I flew up from my slumber,
the silence unlike other nights
and found his wings there beating
against love’s too bright light.

I’m glad we
weren’t born sparrows
because sparrows can be caged;
I’m glad we aren’t mere mortals
because mortals bleed and age.

I soared to him and told him
light would burn his delicate wings
if he didn’t move back from it,
he would soon die from its sting.

And I’m glad we
weren’t born sparrows
because sparrows can be caged;
I’m glad we’re moth and dragonfly
and don’t know love’s light fades.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

This is a poem I wrote last summer.  I have several in progress, but am having a case of scatter-brained going on mixed with procrastination.  Can't seem to finish anything.  Maybe next week...

I hope you all are having a wonderful weekend.  It's hot, humid and sunny here with some amazing clouds about.  I did a little cloud-watching this morning until the heat brought me back into the cool house.  I was watering my Willows and gardens and also dragonfly-watching.  They swarm me when I turn on the water hose.  I spray the tree leaves so they can lite on them and drink.

Blessings,

~Marion

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

"Just living is not enough. One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower."  ~Hans Christian Anderson

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

"If you surrender to the wind, you can ride it." ~Toni Morrison

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

18 comments:

Karen said...

I love the poem, especially the refrain. Beautiful.

Marion said...

We had snow yesterday. I wonder if my tomato plants made it through, heh.

It sounds so lovely...that hot, humid and sunny weather you are having. And imagine so many dragon flies...I'm lucky if I manage to see two or three although it would be early for them up here.

I find it so odd when I'm scatterbrained and filled with procrastination. I think it must have something to do with fibro, or the weather, or.....who knows. But it happens regularly and then I just water the garden or laze about wondering why I can't get interested in anything...

grete said...

Marion -

You blog is a lush and beautiful garden in May - full of life and color, rich and abundant!

I love the moth song repetition in your poem, it illustrates the winged movement through a room, silent but with presence.

And what gorgeous collage - it almost looks 3-D. Did you do it from your own photo? Cut and paste from magazines? Or is this digital?

And the quotes. H.C.Andersen comes from my type of climate - where every minute of sunshine is worshipped.....

Grete

Fireblossom said...

I love it that you think to spray the leaves for them.

Dragonflys are special, I love them. I really enjoyed your poem...sometimes a little blissful ignorance isn't such a bad thing.

Kelly said...

I love this poem and think it's wonderful!!

That journal you collaged is great!! I've always had a weakness for journals.

* said...

A few weeks back I couldn't pin a poem or essay down if I wanted to. It was a complete case of scatter-brain & procrastination. Which is, I dare say, recoverable. :)

PS: I'm smitten with poetry & quote love again here in your post. Gorgeousness!

Wine and Words said...

I LOVE your composition book! It inspires just to look at it. And yes, no one really seeks to cage a dragonfly. Must be nice, not to have to beat wings to bars and beg the leash loosened. *sigh*

Love you! Hope you are feeling well.

Rosaria Williams said...

Lovely! How exquisite the poem with the music. What am I hearing in the background?

GYPSYWOMAN said...

what a beautiful journal you've created for all your beautiful wordpictures with which you will soon fill it! i love the journal! and the poem is just lovely, marion!! wonderful! love coming here for your little corner of peace and serenity!

Phoenix said...

Ah, I loved the poem and the poetry journal is beautiful! You might not always feel creative (or like creating) but I can see your creative, playful spirit stretch for miles...

Hugs and love, Marion :)

Woman in a Window said...

You surround yourself with beautiful things, Marion. Your photos and your book are beautiful. There is peace around you. Or you work like hell to make it so, in soft moments.

The refrain I hear in a small voice. It gives me shivers and makes me stop to think, too, of how we shouldn't wish ourselves out of our natural state for any reason. There is great depth in just these few lines.

It is lovely and light, this poem, with a more significant underbelly. I like it very much.

xo
erin

(My lilacs bloom. I smell them from here. They fill my chest. I think of you.)

angela recada said...

I love this poem, Marion! It's absolutely perfect.

Like you, I'm enjoying the wonderful scents of my tomato and lavender plants, too. They are heavenly, aren't they? I'd be very lost without a little bit of soil to plant something in every spring.

Your garden is looking terrific!

I hope you have a wonderful holiday weekend.

Hugs and love,
xoxoxo
Angela

Chrisy said...

Dear Marion, What a lovely inspiring space you have here. Your photos, poetry and words convey your joy in each moment in your garden. Thank you. You have no idea how comforting your words about lyrica were to me. I felt less alone. My love to you...

quid said...

I love the poem, Marion.... just getting online after a few days, and wondering why you've been off... as well. Had a good time in Louisville. Love the city.

quid

Delwyn said...

Hi Marion

the poem is lovely, so you...and I love the poetry book...we are birds of a feather...I have been making the same plus extra day journals for keeping all those important notes and observations in. I collage the inside pages to in preparation for the contents.

Happy days

Debbie B said...

Hello Marion -

I was surfing through blogs and came upon yours and I'm so happy I did! I love dragonflies and poetry as well! I shall look forward to reading more loveliness in your blog ... (Stop by mine if you have a moment) Deb B.

Snowbrush said...

"It's hot, humid and sunny here"

No way! Not in Louisiana! I enjoyed the poem--and the photos.

Totalfeckineejit said...

That poem could make a good song and what a fantastic collage for your poetry book!