Thursday, April 22, 2010

Every Day is Earth Day For Me...



Earth is ART in it's highest form!



"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children." ~Native American Proverb


"There is hope if people will begin to awaken that spiritual part of themselves, that heartfelt knowledge that we are caretakers of this planet." ~Brooke Medicine Eagle


"I'm not an environmentalist. I'm an Earth warrior." ~Darryl Cherney, quoted in Smithsonian, April 1990



"The poetry of earth is never dead.: ~John Keats

* * * * * * * * * *

Earth Day Poem
By Marion

Hug a tree.
Kiss your dog.
Contemplate a
green tree frog.

Conversate with
dragonflies:
ask one to bring you
a piece of the sky.

This sky blue dragonfly followed me around my yard all morning as I was taking these pictures.  He's a baby, newborn---see how perfect his wings are and untattered?  We haven't had many dragonflies yet, nor have we had many mosquitoes.  I guess it's the law of supply and demand and I'm not complaining.  The weather is totally awesome, cool and sunny. I saw more dragonflies today than I've seen all spring.  It's so funny watching my cats try to catch them.  The dragonflies are way too swift and cunning for them, but the cats do the most amazing gymnastic flips!  Cat tv gets more and more exciting with each day that passes.  Tee-Hee. 


I made a list of my plants, herbs, trees and flowers today out of curiousity.  So far, I've counted 22 varieties of herbs, 55 flowers/fruit and vegetables and 12 trees.  The great thing is that our yard is so big, I think I can plant 10 more trees and lots more herbs, bushes and flowers. The majority of my flowers are perennials (that means they come back every year--- if you're lucky), as are most of the herbs.  This cool, low-humidity spring has been a balm to my roses.  They've never been this healthy, fragrant and picturesque.  I'm praying for just a few more weeks of this weather to keep the black spot off my roses.  Humidity is a bitch to roses the first few weeks of spring.


I've had these little yellow perennial flowers for about 3 years.  Since they only take up half the big pot, I put a baby Basil plant and a baby Tomato I started from seed in with it until they get strong enough to transplant into my garden.  See those little 'greenhouses'?  You take a 2-liter plastic bottle and cut it in half.  You can use the bottom and top to protect tender vegetables or flowers on cool nights---for free and you're recycling those nasty plastic bottles!  You can leave them on if you take the cap off so they can get some air.  If you use the bottom part, then slice a few holes in the bottom with a sharp little paring knife.  Works for me.  Oh, and the top makes a good funnel!



Wild Violets I found growing in the woods across the street today.

My Strawberries are huge and sweet this year.  And the best part is there are NO slugs!  I haven't had to buy beer to put in saucers so the little alkie-slugs will crawl in to drink themselves silly, then drown.  Sounds mean, but it's safe for the environment.  I grow everything organically.  I kill weeds along the fenceline with white vinegar (do not use it in your garden or too near flowers).  The high acid content kills the grass.  And it's quite inexpensive....much less expensive than Roundup with is loaded with nasty chemicals.


Comfrey is one of the first herbs I tried, after Mint.  It's the plant with those large leaves (and also in the red recycled washtub) and the awesome little pinkish/purple bell-like, tiny flowers.  Comfrey is used to help heal skin conditions.  I make a poultice out of it and apply to the area.  It helps bruises heal faster.  I grind some up and put it in extra virgin olive oil (let it sit in a dark place for 3 weeks to age) and use it for my skin.  It's not safe to eat because it's been proven in recent years that it may harm the liver.  So I never recommend taking Comfrey internally.  Some old herbal books do, though, so beware.  Better safe than sorry.  The plants to the right and left of my Comfrey are Chocolate Mint.  I started with one plant and have propagated dozens from that one plant.  It spreads under the soil by the roots, so it's quite invasive, but manageable.  I ran out of my Chocolate Mint tea, so I'm growing a larger crop this year.  I have 7 different kinds of mint growing:  Chocolate, Spearmint, Apple Mint, Lemon Mint, Orange Mint, Peppermint and one called The Best Mint.


This lovely, hanging cobalt blue pretty holds a tea candle and casts a wonderful light at night for my house plants in the window of my living room.  Cobalt Blue is my favorite color this week. 


The humble little Clover flower.  Such a simple, lovely pink flower!


'Whose woods these are I think I know?' (sorry Mr. Frost)  They're mine, across the street from my house. I couldn't resist taking a short walk and being awash in the verdent green of the area.  It was like a cathedral, pure, green and holy.


A view of my house from the woods.

Okay, it took me half the day to get the photos uploaded and posted.  I almost missed Earth Day doing this!!  I hope you enjoyed the walk with me and the flowers, trees and herbs.   Every day is Earth Day here because I'd rather be playing outside in the spring, summer and fall, watering or weeding or planting or harvesting something.  Sunshine is God's cure for depression.

Blessings,

~Marion, Earth Mother

=========================

"Opie, you haven't finished your milk. We can't put it back in the cow, you know." ~Aunt Bee Taylor, The Andy Griffith Show


15 comments:

Susan Anderson said...

Thanks. Your photos are beautiful, and definitely put me in the Earth Day mode.

I love the way mint smells in my garden. I had no idea CHOCOLATE mint was possible. I'm going to have to check that out...

=)

Kelly said...

You are such an amazing gardener, Marion!!! I loved taking the guided tour with you.

We saw lots of dragonflies the last time we fished. They would hover all around me! That was fine with me since I hoped they were feasting on the smaller bugs.

Happy Earth Day!!

Marion said...

Sue, you'll love the Chocolate Mint. It has the sweetest scent of anything on earth (next to my Moonflowers) and a mild flavor. When I water it, the scent permeates the whole yard. It has dark green leaves that are smooth, unlike most other varieties which are rough. Thanks for visiting. Blessings!

Aww, thank you, Kelly. I wss telling Ray today I've killed as many plants as I currently have growing. I'm just hard-headed and refused to give up. LOL! I'm envious of your pond dragonflies. We haven't had much rain, so that's probably part of it. But rain is predicted tomorrow. Yea! Have a great weekend. Blessings!

Karen said...

I want to come hang out with you at your house! Happy Earth Day (one day late, but EVERY day should be Earth Day).

Woman in a Window said...

Marion, one word for you today, one big word: FROST! Can you believe it? I scraped my windshield this morning.

Your garden is beautiful. And you're so lucky to have that woods nearby. Yesterday we hiked through an area I'd never hiked before. It descended into a hollow, a great long descent lush with greens, browns, and multitudes of fungi. Once down it felt like sacred ground, a natural church pulpit. I was torn between being still and running like a child. I tend toward the child...

much love Marion. You've got it right. Nature, nature, nature.

xo
erin

GYPSYWOMAN said...

greetings dear marion - what a wonderful earth day you have given us - just beautiful! - and for which i am so appreciative! in light of recent events in my own life, it was such a beautiful gift and i thank you! i've missed your wonderful posts here of late - 'tis wonderful to be back here with you - and thanks again for such a beautiful earthtour! - and for your kind words and thoughts, lady! have a glorious day!

Marion said...

Thank you, Karen. If you were here, I'd put you to work. Blessings!

Erin! I cannot believe y'all have frost. It's turned cloudy today but we need a good rain to water everything. Yes, the woods are awesome and trees make the nicest neighbors! Thanks for stopping by. Blessings!

Gypsy, I'm so glad you're back from your road trip. I'm so happy you enjoyed your visit here. Love & Blessings!!

ds said...

Thank you for this. Your way of recycling plastic bottles is terrific. Can't wait to see how your herbs do (it is yet too cold here for planting, but soon). You are the Ultimate Earth Mother!

Marion said...

You're welcome, ds. My herbs usually do well (most herbs are weeds..LOL!) It's my tomatoes that I have to baby the most and my moonflowers. I'll keep their progress posted ever so often. Thanks for stopping by. Blessings!

Wine and Words said...

Mint, mint, mint. Bring on the Mojitos Marion...I could use nine about now!

And, you, who said you were a dragonfly....bring me a piece of the sky. Capture a lightning bug in there if you wouldn't mind.

Love you my tall winged friend!

Love
annie

quid said...

A perfect, perfect, perfect Earthday post. quid

Cynthia said...

Marion, what a lovely journey
I've just taken on a Saturday
morning through your wonderous
garden. Love the flowers - I have
a real flower fetish, love to
gaze upon them and to press their
delicate petals.

Thanks for the awesome Eco tip,
using those nasty plastic bottles
for a mini greenhouse - Wow.

Marion said...

Oh, what an amazing garden you have! It reminds me of one I was fortunate enough to have once upon a time.

I love the woods nearby...they do feel like a cathedral to me when I walk amongst great tall trees...there is a certain hush.

love to you, Marion, I hope you have a great weekend in your wonderful garden!

couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

i love it!!!!!!!
you are amazing!!!!
i haven't garden in a while and i can't wait to do it again
thank YOU very much for the inspiration my dear friend!!!!
i love mint, can't wait to try all of them, too!

* said...

I spent part of Earth Day flying in an airplane to another state (the excuse? A much needed retreat & Writer's Conference!). But this post sings of Earth Day, and for that, I'm grateful and happy. What splendor you live with!!