Wednesday, February 21, 2018

You Can't Take the Sky From Me

Candy Rose & the Cheshire Cat.

~•~•~•~•~


"She was wearing an old summer dress as a nightgown, but in the mornings it could work as a dress again, if you just tossed a cardigan over it and put on shoes.  In this risky manner, she knew, insanity could encroach."  ~Lorrie Moore, from "Wings" in the Paris Review #200, page 137.

~×~×~×~

"Time rushes towards us with its hospital tray of infinitely varied narcotics, even while it is preparing us for its inevitably fatal operation." ~Tennessee Williams, "The Rose Tattoo"

~∆~∆~∆~

Ballad of Serenity
(Firefly theme song)

Take my love, take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care, I'm still free
You can't take the sky from me.

Take me out to the black
Tell them I ain't comin' back
Burn the land and boil the sea
You can't take the sky from me.

Leave the men where they lay
They'll never see another day
Lost my soul, lost my dream
You can't take the sky from me.

I feel the black reaching out
I hear its song without a doubt
I still hear and I still see
That you can't take the sky from me.

Lost my love, lost my land
Lost the last place I could stand
There's no place I can be
Since I've found Serenity

And you can't take the sky from me.

1 comment:

Snowbrush said...

I had assumed that the sky was pretty much the same everywhere, but that's not so. Here in western Oregon, the sky is nearly always gray in winter. By summer the sky has turned to a cloudless blue, and a hazy blue at that since it rarely rains here in summer. In the desert east of the Cascades, the sky is pretty like it was in Mississippi, only without the haze that came with the Southern humidity. I used to fly a small plane in Mississippi, and what fun it was to see those big cumulus clouds up close. As for the things that I miss about the South, really pretty skies are high on the list. Some of the other things I miss are cardinals, anoles, and lightning bugs. One of the things that I don't miss is fireants, something that Mississippi didn't even have when I was a boy.