Friday, April 20, 2012

To a Dark Moses by Lucille Clifton

P. J. (named after my fav grrrrl rocker, P. J. Harvey) jamming to The Doors on vinyl.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Listen, real poetry doesn't say anything, it just ticks off the possibilities.  Opens all doors.  You can walk through any one that suits you.

...and that's why poetry appeals to me so much---because it's so eternal.  As long as there are people, they can remember words and combinations of words.  Nothing else can survive a holocaust but poetry and songs.  No one can remember an entire novel...

If my poetry aims to achieve anything, it's to deliver people from the limited ways in which they see and feel."  ~Jim Morrison, from the Prologue to "The Lost Writings of Jim Morrison - Wildness, Volume 1."

***************

to a dark moses
by Lucille Clifton

You are the one
I am lit for.

Come with your rod
that twists
and is a serpent.

I am the bush.
I am burning
I am not consumed.

From:  "The Best American Erotic Poems from 1800 to the Present", page 112




9 comments:

Kelly said...

This is a Lucille Clifton I don't think I've seen before. Powerful!

erin said...

can poetry change enough people? can enough people wake up? is there an enough?

this is an interesting marriage, marion, between jim and lucille))

isn't it an incredible thing that no matter how often we break into fire and are driven toward consumption, we have a phoenix moment and are reborn to drive toward the flame once more? isn't this incredible, marion? i was thinking about this tonight on my way home from work. this seems to be some kind of key to the mystery.

xo
erin

Marion said...

Thanks for stopping by, Kelly. I'm wondering if it's raining cats and dogs in Arkansas like it is here. Perfect night to cozy up with a good book. xo

Yes, Erin, I think it is incredible, the force/strength of the human spirit. I have many times thought I could not live one more second due to one emotional pain or other...and yet I did. Poetry heals me, helps me to realize that my pain was/is shared and thereby often halved by sharing with a friend. YES, to finding keys to the mystery. Thank you for stopping by and commenting. Love you!!! xo

Ben Ditty said...

I love deese words, gaah waah flooye! I'm only a little drunk, I swear.

Marion said...

Now Ben, hasn't anyone ever told you it's not good to operate machinery while imbibing? LOL!

Snowbrush said...

That's a great poem. I hadn't seen the Morrison quote, but then I've never seen any of his poetry either. What are your thoughts about it? Have you ever put any of it on your blog?

Wine and Words said...

Poetry as deliverance. This strikes me between the eyes as the shovel I wield. I long to deliver myself through this medium and hope it is possible. You make me think it is so, and then Ben makes me laugh. On both ends I am healed by those I know.

Love you dearest.

Anonymous said...

"bush of fire."

Phoenix said...

Love it. Lucille's poem is quite sexy, to be honest, and so was Jim Morrison, so I'll just say this is a sexy poetry post and we'll leave it at that. lol!