Saturday, August 19, 2017

all that by Charles Bukowski



all that

the only things I remember about
New York City
in the summer
are the fire escapes
and how the people go
out on the fire escapes
in the evening
when the sun is setting
on the other side
of the buildings
and some stretch out
and sleep there
while others sit quietly
where it’s cool.
and on many
of the window sills
sit pots of geraniums or
planters filled with red
geraniums
and the half-dressed people
rest there
on the fire escapes
and there are
red geraniums
everywhere.
this is really
something to see rather
than to talk about.
it’s like a great colorful
and surprising painting
not hanging anywhere
else.
“all that” by Charles Bukowski from Open All Night

2 comments:

Kelly said...

He describes it well enough that I'm seeing it in my mind's eye...

Marion said...

I know, Kelly, right? I could actually see a painting overflowing with red Geramiums in window boxes and in the windows. To be honest, I'm not a big Bukowski fan, but this one blew me away. Thanks for stopping by. Hope you're staying cool in this crippling heat. I mowed the front yard yesterday (after weeks of afternoon showers) and I had to stop and rest about 6 times! I can't move today. Love & Blessings. xo