Saturday, September 20, 2014

Matins by Louise Gluck

Tried to capture morning sunlight, but only caught herb shadows on my veranda.



Matins
By Louise Gluck

You want to know how I spend my time?
I walk the front lawn, pretending
to be weeding. You ought to know
I’m never weeding, on my knees, pulling
clumps of clover from the flower beds: in fact
I’m looking for courage, for some evidence
my life will change, though
it takes forever, checking
each clump for the symbolic
leaf, and soon the summer is ending, already
the leaves turning, always the sick trees
going first, the dying turning
brilliant yellow, while a few dark birds perform
their curfew of music. You want to see my hands?
As empty now as at the first note.
Or was the point always
to continue without a sign?

from:  "Louise Gluck, Poems 1962 - 2012", page 267

===============

Matins:
noun
  1. a service of morning prayer in various churches, especially the Anglican Church.
    • a service forming part of the traditional Divine Office of the Western Christian Church, originally said (or chanted) at or after midnight, but historically often held with lauds on the previous evening.
    • literary
      the morning song of birds.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

As an Episcopalian, I naturally think of the first definition, but I love that second! I'll never hear an early morning birdsong the same way as I use to!

ds said...

Love Louise Gluck! Reading her latest collection in fact. Thanks so much for sharing this.