Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Acquainted With the Night by Robert Frost


Having not slept well in weeks, I find this poem a perfect fit to go with my full moon photo from March. I love Robert Frost and if you don't own one of his many books, then definitely go buy one in honor of Poetry Month. All of his poetry is amazingly filled with light and he never disappoints me...ever! xoxo


Acquainted with the Night
by Robert Frost

I have been one acquainted with the night.
I have walked out in rain – and back in rain.
I have outwalked the furthest city light.

I have looked down the saddest city lane.
I have passed by the watchman on his beat
And dropped my eyes, unwilling to explain.

I have stood still and stopped the sound of feet
When far away an interrupted cry
Came over houses from another street,

But not to call me back or say good-bye;
And further still at an unearthly height,
A luminary clock against the sky

Proclaimed the time was neither wrong nor right.
I have been one acquainted with the night.

"Acquainted with the Night" by Robert Frost, from 'The Poetry of Robert Frost'.

12 comments:

ds said...

I adore this poem, having also been one "acquainted with the night." It is beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing it, Marion!

Bubba said...

I think anyone who doesn't love Robert Frost has never read Robert Frost. There are plenty of excellent collective works of his available, and you can't go wrong anyway.

I hope Mr. Sandman finds you soon, Marion. :)

erin said...

i can't apologize that i do not want this acquaintance. it is like a reckoning in me, marion, something that i allow. i want to be alive, but i want sleep, dammit. i'm weak, i say. i need enough.

not that i get it. but that i try damn hard to.

back problems? me too, as of late, but i dig in tight. does rob rub you with icy hot? sometimes this helps.

xo
erin

Kelly said...

I've liked most every Frost poem I've read, but I don't think I have any of his work other than what might appear in my anthologies. Perhaps I should take your advice and get one devoted to him this month.
:)

* said...

Frost works a magic with his words, a spell, a wonder. Thank you for this, Marion!

Shaista said...

What a poem! The lyricism of Robert Frost stays with us from that very first childhood acquaintance of Stopping by Woods :)

Yes, I think all poets, writers, artists, are well acquainted with the night!

Margaret Pangert said...

Hi Marion~ I love your photo of the full moon, low, behind a great tree. I love to walk at night, if only around my block. Somehow you do have this feeling of longing or loneliness that Frost describes. Beautiful poem--one I hadn't read before. Thank you! xxox

Serena said...

I've read this before and just loved seeing it here today. It seems to fit my mood of late. I don't know whether that's a good thing or a bad thing.:)

Elephant's Child said...

Hi, I came to you via Snowbrush, and am glad I did.
Love dragonflies, love poetry including Robert Frost and TS Eliot.
Thanks for reminding me.

Andrew said...

I enjoy the classical poets. Thank you for the Frost.

And thank you for Playlist! I do enjoy it too and am now using it.

Laurie said...

Thankful for the Frost, but sorry you're not sleeping!

Jonas said...

Ah, yes, "The Poetry of Robert Frost" a much loved, dog-eared, creased and stained tome I've hugged close for three-plus decades. Thanks for prompting me to peruse through all my favorites again...for the umpteenth time.