Thursday, October 27, 2016

Surviving Love By Linda Gregg

"...forgiveness is hard for the wounded..."



SURVIVING LOVE
By Linda Gregg

I work hard at managing, grateful
and spare. I try to forgive all trespasses
and give thanks for the desert. Rejoice
in being alive here in my simple world.
Each evening I walk for an hour, paying
attention to real things. The plover
sweeping at my face to get me away from
its ground nest. An ant carrying the wing
of a butterfly like a flag in the wind.
A grasshopper eating a dead grasshopper.
The antelope close up, just staring at me.
Back in the house, I lie down in the heat
for a nap, realizing forgiveness is hard
for the wounded. Near the border,
between this country and the next one.
“Surviving Love” by Linda Gregg from In the Middle Distance.

4 comments:

Kelly said...

Now that I walk outside most days (doctor's orders), I love the parts of this poem I can take at face value. When I'm not keeping my eyes down to dodge cow paddies, there is so much to take in!

Excellent photo! *pounce*

Snowbrush said...

Oh my, but you were postponed just perfectly for that magnificent photo. I love the tabby’s look of concentration, and as an added treat, those dead leaves look like they’re from a water oak. I love water oaks, but I only know of one that grows here in Eugene, and it’ll never equal the beauty of the ones down South.

Marion said...

Thanks, Kelly. We walk, too. I limp, Ray walks. LOL! xo

Snow, it was synchronicity that I was outside with my Canon Rebel, which is an amazing camera, and watching the cats play. That's Little Debbie about to pounce on either a leaf or her brother, Garfield. Yes, Water Oaks. My neighborhood has maybe a hundred of them. I love their generosity and how fast they grow!! I bet it's much cooler in Oregon. It's 70ish today, a perfect day! xo

Snowbrush said...

Eastern Oregon is cold; western Oregon is comfortable and summer and probably no colder than where you are in winter, although the days are much shorter and it rains almost everyday. The Willamette Valley rarely get snow, but since there are numerous nearby hills and mountains, we sometimes see snow within a mile of where we live.