Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Dreams

Full moon captured by limbs...


Dreams
By Marion L.

I wake with dreams
clinging to me,
their stench almost unbearable.
They’re tangled in my hair,
running down my leg and
wrapped around my ankles.

I trip on my lifelong recurring dream:
the one where I’m running down a long hallway
as a child and the floor is covered with broken glass
and someone is chasing me and I can only run
in slow motion. That one.

I wake with dreams haunting me...

their scent reeks of death.

-------------------------------------

"I am accustomed to sleep and in my dreams to imagine the same things that lunatics imagine when awake."  ~Rene Descartes, "Meditations on First Philosophy"

*****

"In a dream, one is never eighty".  ~Anne Sexton

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Wonderful poem, Marion!

I'm a vivid, frequent dreamer... and while they're not usually nightmares, they're often unsettling enough that I'm glad to have awoken.

Wine and Words said...

I love you My Marion. I RARELY, if ever, have a good dream. Why can't I fly? Or have an orgasm? Always the stiffest of anxiety, the screams that can't seem to be delivered. It sucks. I should be able to escape into a blissful world void of reality. But I don't. I guess that's why I like morning so much. Dreams over!

Marion said...

Kelly, I understand that sometimes dreams are our subconscious trying to work out our daytime problems. Other times, I just think it's because I had pizza before bedtime. LOL! I, too, have vivid dreams, but they seem to come in cycles...some good & some bad. Thanks for stopping by. I love & appreciate you... xo

Annie!!! I love you, too. Do you ever take Melatonin? It seems to help me sleep and, for the most part, have good dreams. I had 2 flying dreams...2 nights in a row. It was 15 years ago and I remember them like yesterday. The first was especially fabulous because I flew over a river. It was magical. I pray you have a flying dream, at least once. Thanks for stopping by! xo