Thursday, September 18, 2014

Nouns of Assemblage - A List Poem by Marion


 
 
Nouns of Assemblage
A List Poem Assembled by Marion

A murmuration of starlings
An exaltation of larks
A murder of crows
A parliament of owls
A pitying of doves
An unkindness of ravens
A wilderness of monkeys
A bench of bishops
A desert of lapwing
A clowder of cats
A drunkship of cobblers
A barren of mules
A fall of woodcock


Aren’t words beyond amazing?  I have to say that nouns of assemblage are mind-blowing, fascinating and strangely curious.  These are my favorites from a very long list I found in an old book I own from the 1800's.

xo,
Marion

My newest journal.

3 comments:

erin said...

a parliament of owls! an unkindness of ravens! a clowder! a barren! holy language indeed. who comes (came) up this stuff? certainly in its maiden form language was poetry to begin with.

awesome, marion))

xo
erin

Kelly said...

Words are wonderful things - both written and spoken! We must always be careful how we use them.

Dreamcatcher said...

I agree with you wholeheartedly! Words really are beyond amazing. Just check out my post where I say the same thing in different words :-p

http://dreamcatcherssay.blogspot.it/2014/10/i-am-lover-of-words.html

And while you're at it please support my blog too:
http://dreamcatcherssay.blogspot.it

May the words never dry up!

Cheers :)