Monday, August 2, 2010

IHop Ain't Got Nothing On Me! Happy 300th Post to Me!!

Sunday brunch:  french toast with apples and whipped cream. Bacon on the side. 

*     *     *     *     *     *

I seldom ever cook in the summer.  It's too hot and, hell, we're the laziest state in the USA according to some screwed up new poll, so might as well live up to the hype, right?  Poor Louisiana.  We catch hell all the time.  Watching the boob tube, you'd think we all lived in shacks in the swamps with gators (and vampires, but I do so love True Blood!) in our backyards.  Sunday Ray wanted to go to IHop, a place we've only visited once in our life.  I told him I could beat IHop any old day and so I did.  He was amazed.  Only problem was I could've eaten twice this much it was so yummy.  My secret ingredients are cinnamon and cardamom.  I told Ray not to expect this every Sunday.  He usually goes to Micky D's and gets us breakfast on Sunday and buys me the Sunday paper so I can read the sales ads and cut coupons.  Then the cats love to play on the remnants I toss on the floor.  They slip and slide and fight.  Cat tv!!  LOL!

We went to see Inception last week.  I did not like it at all.  Too anticlimactic and the plot went exactly nowhere.  It had such great potential, too.  The special effects were good, but I'm a plot kinda girl.  I love a good story.  The storyline in this movie was as weak as tea made with a used tea bag.   I mean, come on, what they went through all that trouble for...dreams within dreams ad nauseum...to find what they found in the safe was, well, just hokey.  I know most people are nuts over the movie, but it didn't do anything for me.

I heard this poem today on NRP and I just had to share it.  I plan to buy the book, too.  I never knew Tennessee was the barbeque capitol of the south until we visited our daughter in Chattanooga.  There were barbeque joints on almost every corner.  We did eat some and it was awesome.  It was 103 degrees here yesterday and we're expecting more of the same today.  So I'll be lazying around in my cool house praying that August will not get too much hotter.  Hopefully, Fall might stop by for a visit in September!!  Have a wonderful week!!


Half-Rack at the Rendezvouz

by William Notter

She had a truck, red hair,
and freckled knees and took me all the way
to Memphis after work for barbecue.
We moaned and grunted over plates of ribs
and sweet iced tea, even in a room of strangers,
gnawing the hickory char, the slow
smoked meat peeling off the bones,
and finally the bones. We slurped
grease and dry-rub spice from our fingers,
then finished with blackberry cobbler
that stained her lips and tongue.

All the trees were throwing fireworks
of blossom, the air was thick
with pollen and the brand-new smell of leaves.
We drove back roads in the watermelon dusk,
then tangled around each other, delirious
as honeybees working wisteria.
I could blame it all on cinnamon hair,
or the sap rising, the overflow of spring,
but it was those ribs that started everything.

"Half-Rack at the Rendezvouz" by William Notter, from Holding Everything Down

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is the hottest barbecue poem that I've ever read. Thanks for this.

All the best, Boonsong

Marion said...

I have to agree with you there, boonsong. I loved it the minute I heard it and knew I had to have more of his poetry. I enjoy discovering new poets. Thank YOU for stopping by. Blessings!!

Wine and Words said...

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY 300th!!!!

I saw Inception too. I'm just too stupid really for all those layers and layers and layers. I got lost in which dream was which. Holy smokes. Good effects though. And may I say...you can make me breakfast any time...hold the bacon :)

Love
Annie

Kelly said...

Wow! I like that poem! I was still a vegetarian when we stayed in Memphis a couple of years ago or I would have wanted to eat at the Rendezvouz.

We were watching the news the other night and they had a 'teaser' about one of the states in the ArkLaMiss being the laziest and to stay tuned to see which one. Of course we did!! Y'all might live in shacks in the swamps with gators, but we're all barefoot and pregnant (at least the women). LOL!

Try to stay cool! We were 102 the past two days and supposed to be 104 tomorrow.

Woman in a Window said...

NPR...miss my the NPR...

This is good lip smacking poetry. I'm glad for this sort in the world.

xo
erin

* said...

In that case, pass me some ribs!! That poem reads like the heat of August, perfect to introduce the last true summer month.

PS: Congrats on your 300th post, that is huge! And hoping you enjoyed your Sunday brunch. Mmmmm.

Snowbrush said...

Wow, way hot down there. I'm so sorry to hear it. There's one bar-b-cue place here that I can think of, and the population is 300,000 plus. Go figure. I don't eat meat, so I don't miss them anyway.