Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Moondancing by Marion



MOONDANCING

By Marion, for my poet/friend, Erin
(I wrote this for last year's July full moon.)


There was I wearing just dragonflies
in my untamed, burgundy hair.
She all glistening, robed only in river silt,
shining just as fair.


Our skin glowing uncannily
lit from within and without,
arms outstretched, heads thrown back
as we twirled and pranced about.


Faces upturned, filled with rapture as
round and round we whirled---
lost in the moonlady’s ecstasy,
entranced in our own dream-world.


Some said it were fairies dancing
up under the stars that night---
Crazed and drunk from the river reflecting
the full moon’s shimmering light.


But me and my friend know better---
t’was our spirits’ mystical meeting,
celebrating the poetry of rivers and
the feel of the full moon’s heart beating.

7/7/09


9 comments:

Woman in a Window said...

...last year's July full moon...

Ohhh my, Marion. I am still with this, and just that much reflective. You and I have shared some mighty energy beneath that moon. I've learned to be just a little more quiet since then, but I would still dance with you, and wait for a wind afterwards to cool us.

Beautiful poem. I thank you for reminding me.

much love,
xo
erin

Marion said...

Yeah, over a year has slipped away since I wrote this, Erin. I was perusing my July poems and this is my favorite one. Lonely moon, lovely river, awesome friend, and the spell-casting mixture of river, moonshine, dancing and friends. Sounds like a metaphysical party to me. Poetry for a full moon party and perhaps a little of the fairy's brew for refreshment... Why not?? We should keep it an annual date, this full moon July thing. Thanks for stopping by my friend. I'm glad you did. Much love to you, too. And Blessings! xo

Marion said...

Beautiful poem...I felt as if I was there dancing at the edge of the river.

It took me back to teen years, when a bunch of us would camp at the side of the river and watch the moon cast its spell over us. Some of us danced to the sound of the Beatles, and some of us danced to the Full Moon's light.

Bubba said...

What a wonderful way to commemorate your shared occasion!

(I'm rather jealous in a way)

I very much like the idea of people having an annual gathering where they share each other's company and something of nature.

And it's even nicer when those people share a similar aesthetic of the experience.

* said...

Lovely, beautiful, there are not words to express all I feel in this poem.

You are a poetess, Marion, a dragonfly goddess. :)

Wine and Words said...

Never tire of the moon, her image, her wizardry. You weave a beautiful spell here my Marion. I go to the window, look out and view her now with increased appreciation.

Love you!

Phoenix said...

Ah, I love this poem... what a wonderful piece to have written for someone! Looks like you've found one of your poet "sisters" Marion! :)

Serena said...

Oh, wow, Marion! I love every single word of that magnificent poem and every single pixel of your gorgeous illustrations! You rock, girlie.:)

Anonymous said...

This is quite beautiful. Thanks for bringing this to us.

Have a nice day, Boonsong