Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Goodbye Olympis, World's Best Grand-Dog



OLYMPIS, World’s Best Grand-Dog
1998 - 2010
Crossed the Rainbow Bridge Yesterday

In 1998 my future son-in-law's cousin said her dog was having puppies. My daughter, Sarah, and Paul drove to Lafayette and looked at the puppies. They left with a cute, little Chocolate Lab bundle. Sarah and Paul were 20 years old. Paul had always wanted a dog, but had never had one.  They argued over names but settled on Paul’s pick, Olympis. He was the sweetest puppy. Paul lived in a refurbished 100 year old shotgun shack near the college in Natchitoches and he made a fenced-in area for the dog on the side, but as a puppy Olympis stayed in the house. Paul took him outside every two hours to potty train him, and he was trained in about a week. They spoiled him rotten and before too long he outgrew living inside the house.

A year later they decided he needed a friend. Approaching his teenage years (in dog years) they learned that was a mistake. They adopted Apollo, a feisty Black Lab, who turned out to be a troubled teen. Paul and Sarah were engaged and planning their wedding for just after graduation from college. Paul had just got accepted into LSU medical school, and one day they drove to Shreveport to look at a house to rent.  They left Olympis and Appollo outside in the little fenced-in area. 

And here comes our favorite family dog story ever:

They got back home to Natchitoches late that night and pulled into Paul’s driveway. The gate was closed but the fenced-in area was empty. No Apollo and no Olympis. Apollo had a habit (due to the fact he was very tall) of jumping the fence in the middle of the night and Olympis would “bark” him home.

Well, they drove around that night all over Natchitoches hollering out the window “Olympisssssss!” They drove along Cane River, not far from Paul’s house, and were calling the dogs.

They ran into a man by Cane River who told them, “I saw those dogs....Yeah, they swam clear across the river and it took them so long to cross that by the time they made it to the other side the dog catcher was waiting for them when they climbed out of the water over by Front Street .” That sounded right because Olympis knew he wasn’t allowed in the street so wouldn’t cross the Front Street Bridge, but rather swam across Cane River instead!

Sarah and Paul drove to the dog pound which was closed and peeked into each little kennel. There the dogs were, busted. They went the next morning and bailed them out. I think it cost about fifty bucks. Soon after they had to give away Apollo. He was just too bad of an influence.

Olympis then shared all the momentous occasions of their lives:  their marriage and the births of their two children. He was a gentle dog, never snarled or even showed his teeth at them or either of the kids.  He will be missed by Sarah and Paul, 31, Mary Mace, 6 and Warner, 3 and by all of his extended family members. 

Goodbye, Olympis.  You were the World's Best Grand-Dog and gave us many wonderful memories and stories.  We'll see you on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge.

Blessings,

~Marion~
**********************************************

The Rainbow Bridge
Author Unknown

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
 
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

11 comments:

Wine and Words said...

Awww. Good-bye Olympis. I'm gonna be a mess when my dog crosses over. I love the troubled teen reference to Apollo. We had one too...came with one of our squatters and tore the place up! It was a relief when they both moved on. Two of a kind.

Love ya sister!

Unspoken said...

I have never heard of the Rainbow Bridge. Lovely. Sorry to hear about the loss of the best dog in the world!

Pam said...

My sympathy is heart felt. As you know I lost both my beloved old furkids in the past couple of months. My heart still grieves the loss of my precious pups.

Sadly, the Rainbow Bridge has been a busy place this year.

As the pillow Kelly gave me from Christmas says:

"Heaven is the place where all the dogs you've ever loved come to greet you."

How true; how true!

Marion said...

Thanks, Annie, Amy and Pammie.

Pammie, I'm so sorry for your loss. Unless you've lost a family pet, you just don't know how much it hurts. This is Mary Mace and Warner's first experience with the death of a pet. I hope Sarah tells them about the Rainbow Bridge. Blessings, All!

Kelly said...

What a wonderful, funny story!! You should have shared that with us when we were all there together. Olympis sounds like he was a fine fellow.

Yep, the Rainbow Bridge has been too busy recently (we still miss our Betty) and I'm afraid Esther will be crossing over much too soon.

I'm sorry for your loss, but know you will treasure many good memories.

Phoenix said...

This totally made me tear up. My cat passed on years ago and last night I couldn't sleep (as usual) and I went back to thinking about him and how scared and sad he must have been when his life was taken way too soon. I hoped and prayed that he was someplace better and that it didn't hurt...and then I opened up your blog today and read the perfect words.

Thank you, a million times, Marion, for how thoughtful and loving your posts are and how I am always in need of exactly what you write each time - even if I don't know it until I read it!

::Hugs and blessings::

Marion said...

Ahh, this is so sweet and gentle, Marion. The Rainbow Bridge is one of my very favourite stories. Losing a pet for the first time...well, going through it is indescribable.

My condolences to your family...and you, of course, and most of all, my empathy...I soo know how this feels.

A beautiful, loving tribute...

Blessings and warm hugs

Marion said...

Kelly, I wish I'd have recalled that story while you, Pammie, Quid and I were all in Natchitoches! As y'all recall, the Cane River isn't very wide. LOL! Good old Olympis. It's been a month for pet deaths...my oldest sister lost her 15 year old Chihuahua a week ago. (I so could not spell that and had to look it up! LOL!) Blessings!!

Oh, Phoenix, you are so sweet. Thank you. I understand how you feel. It's been 2 years since my world's bestest kitty died and I miss him horribly. I had him for 20 years and it wasn't long enough... Blessings!

Marion, thanks for stopping by and thanks for your kind words. I appreciate them. Blessings!

Fireblossom said...

I've heard it said that people come into this life to learn how to love. Dogs already know, and so their stay is shorter. I hope that doesn't sound glib. I know that dogs become beloved family members--mine certainly always have been--and it is heartbreaking when they have to leave. I love "Rainbow Bridge", but I didn't read it this time; it always makes me cry.

quid said...

This post becomes uplifting...tied in are all the memories and stories, the years float by. A really great tribute to ... yeah, they are members of our families.

quid

Remembering Natchitoches.

Marion said...

Fireblossom, that is a beautiful sentiment about dogs. Thank you for sharing it. Blessings!

Quid, I hope we can all get together again one day soon....perhaps at the Shack-Up Inn.?? LOL! Love & Blessings!