Friday, August 21, 2009

The Awful Normals and Phoebe In Wonderland, Plus More!!

Today I'm going to post a few new quotes I've collected from a movie and a few books I've read in the past few months. I hope you enjoy them. They all touched me deeply. May you all have relaxing, peaceful, refreshing and rejuvenating weekends.


Love, Peace, Hugs & Blessings, dearest Friends--- ~*~Marion~*~



"I moved toward the Yew tree. The ancient branches grew almost to the ground. I pushed aside some leafy obstacles and disappeared into the tree's shadow...underneath the branches, the air was cool and dim, a sanctuary in its own right. I moved closer to the tree's enormous trunk. It was close to four feet across and had split wide open with age. I'd read somewhere that once a Yew tree get that old, it didn't actually need the trunk to survive and so the trunk decays and becomes hollow. I could certainly identify."

~From: "Jane Austen Ruined My Life" by Beth Pattillo, Page 56

I watched the amazing movie, "Phoebe in Wonderland" last week. The photo above is from a scene out of the movie. Elle Fanning gives an awe inspiring performance as the troubled, fantastical Phoebe who won't - or can't - follow the rules. Confounded by her clashes with the rule-obsessed world around her, Phoebe seeks enlightenment from her unconventional drama teacher, even as her brilliant but anguished mother, played by Felicity Huffman, looks to Phoebe herself for inspiration.
Her mother is writing her disseration on "Alice in Wonderland", and firmly believes in letting children develop and live out their free, creative imaginations in their lives. But does Phoebe know the meaning of limits or is there something deeply wrong with her which the family refuses to face? I won't give it away, but it is a wonderful, beautifully filmed movie. I came away from it with the profound quote below which Phoebe was told by her spirited, free-thinking, never normal drama teacher, Miss Dodger played eloquently by Patricia Clarkson. I highly recommend this movie. It's a keeper.

And here is the amazing quote:

"At a certain point in your life---probably when too much of it has gone by---you will open your eyes and see yourself for who you are, especially for everything that made you so different from all the awful normals. And you will say to yourself, "But I am this person." And in that statement, that correction, there will be a kind of love."


"The playwright Eugene O'Neil in 'The Great God Brown' said, "Man is born broken. He lives by mending. The grace of God is glue," So maybe life isn't about finding a cure but instead discovering what it takes to keep ourselves together, to mend ourselves so we can go on and live life to the fullest." ~From: "On The Couch" by Lorraine Bracco, page 283


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~






14 comments:

Karen said...

Thanks for this thought-filled and thoughtful beginning to the weekend, Marion. Blessings to you.

angela recada said...

Ah, dear Marion, you gave us some wonderful quotes today, and some beautiful photos yesterday. Thank you!

I hope your weekend gives you exactly what you need.

Hugs,
Angela

Wine and Words said...

I love the red quote. I hope it's true. Hope it's true soon.

Blessings Marion

Woman in a Window said...

Marion, I think they're right, this journey of ours, the healing of the self, the finding, the knowing. If we can accept this then we should receive every day openly.

I'd like to think that not too much of my life has passed already. If I've only a small patch of it left and I'm working on the healing, the accepting, then I do believe it's all worth it.

Best to you, too, Marion. Beautiful weekend to you.
xo
erin

Rikkij said...

Marion-Good morning, Dear one-
not sure of the Jane quote. Just an empty shell
no longer of use?
The Phoebe-I hope so, but fear acceptance is as good as I'll get. Love for my being me might be too much to ask.
Yes, I hope always for God's healing if only we harden not our hearts to the healing.
A lovely walk through your garden as always. Thanks for holding my hand. Take care~rick

Renee said...

These are wonderful. Thanks for the mention of the movie, now to get a minute.

Marion I love the card and the bookmark. Thank you I really love them.

I have a bunch of pictures downloaded by that artist so you were right I love her, I just never knew her name and you know I will forget it again.

Love Renee xoxo

Marion said...

Thanks, everyone, for the kind words. Blessings!

Renee, I'm SO glad you loved the card and bookmark!! I love that artist and so does my daughter. I buy her greeting cards, goddess knowledge cards and address books, all for the ethereal artwork. I was sad to learn that she died in 1997. I read a wonderful quote that Anais Nin said about her art:

"(Susan Seddon Boulet's) figures are out of our dreams, those which flee from us upon awakening, those which are disbursed like dew at dawn, those which fall apart between our fingers like dust-roses."

Blessings & Hugs, sweet Renee!!

Snowbrush said...

Yew trees grow in Oregon. They can be very small yet very old. Their needles are much like those of a hemlock, but their bark is a reddish purple. When taxol (which comes from the yew tree) was found to be an effective cancer treatment, people descended upon the forests to strip the bark off the yews. Fortunately, a synthetic form of taxol was developed; otherwise, the yews would probably all be gone by now.

They only grow in the heavy shade of other trees, and there aren't a great number of them. Yet, they are not too hard to find, and are always a great joy to look upon.

Snowbrush said...

"Please do not leave me when my moods make me a burden to you. I need to be heard and to be loved. Stay next to me and give me what I have never had." ~Elizabeth Peters

Yes.

Snowbrush said...

"Me, Alone, Pondering the Abyss"

Ha, so I CAN see you! There you are, dark eyes pondering the abyss, no less. What's that quote...something like, "Be careful lest you stare too long into the abyss and the abyss stare back into you."

Snowbrush said...

Diana Krall's version of "Garden in the Rain" is from 1997, but the song was written in 1928. Wow, 81 years. Do you think either of us will last as long? Do we want to?

Marion said...

Hell, yeah, Snow-man! You and me are too mean to die young. Who was it who said, "I'm already too old to die young now?" LOL! Loved the info about the Yew trees. I've never seen one in 'person'. Maybe one day... Love ya!!

Kelly said...

I thought about you this weekend, Marion.... crossed the Red River on Friday AND today!! If I hadn't been on a mission both times, I would have stopped and snapped a picture for you with my cellphone!

Love the Yew tree!

Marion said...

Thanks, Kelly! Hey, that's MY river! LOL! I cross is at least once a week and never fail to admire it. It's run through my life since I was 5 years old. Glad you enjoyed the post. Blessings!